Integrated Capstone (4 credits)
Beginning with the 2020-21 Academic Catalog, every student is required to take a 4 credit Integrated Capstone course. This course provides an opportunity for students to demonstrate their development of the Habits of Mind. In this course, students will articulate, develop, plan, and implement a signature project that addresses the topic of the particular section of the course. A signature project:
- Is transdisciplinary: The project integrates knowledge from multiple disciplines and sources to create something new that could not be created without all of them.
- Is completed collaboratively: The project is large and complex enough that it requires input and work from more than one person to be successful.
- Is student-driven: While faculty, staff, and community partners provide guidance and coaching, student agency and independence move the project forward.
- Requires metacognitive reflection: Students reflect on what and how they learn and how their learned knowledge, skills, and dispositions might be transferable to other contexts.
- Reaches beyond the walls of the classroom: The work of the project touches the world outside the classroom in some way.
- Has an external audience for project results: The results of the project are presented to someone who is outside of the class.
- Is completed ethically and respectfully: Work on the project engages internal/external audiences and/or partners with mutual benefit.
The Integrated Capstone course cannot be specified by the major.